|Submit News Item|
|15 November 2012|
BBC To Reach Settlement With Lord McAlpine
|Tory peer Lord McAlpine has spoken of his anger after a BBC Newsnight report led to him being wrongly implicated in child abuse allegations.
The former Conservative party treasurer told BBC Radio 4's The World at One he should have been contacted beforehand.
Although Newsnight did not name Lord McAlpine, the report led to a flood of accusations about him online.
Lord McAlpine said he had been "in a state of shock" after hearing of the allegations.
"I was in southern Italy. I don't have television, I don't get newspapers, we don't have the internet. To suddenly find I was mixed up in all this, and I didn't know what Newsnight was going to say, it really was a horrendous shock.
"Of course they [the BBC] should have called me and I would have told them exactly what they learnt later on."
Media watchdog Ofcom has confirmed it is investigating both Newsnight and ITV's This Morning programme over the allegations.
The BBC, which has apologised "unreservedly" for the report, said it hoped to reach a "settlement" of the matter on Thursday.
|Labour Calls For Shaun Wright To Stand Down|
|Woman In Stable Condition Following Crash|
|£1bn Shortage In Funding For School Places - LGA|
|'Unexplained Death' At Hospital Investigated|
|RBS And NatWest Fined Over £14,000,000 For Serious Failings|
|Man, 24, Stabbed To Death|
|Woman Arrested Following House Fire |
|Other News In Brief|
|Murder Investigation Launched After Boy Pulled From Burning Car Dies |
|Convicted Robber Goes On Run From Open Prison|